How to Have a Great #1HourWith Your Mentor
Before your #1HourWith Mentorship Session, you're strongly encouraged to spend 1-2 minutes reading this checklist and top tips to maximise the opportunity.
📜 Before your session
- Do your homework. Google your mentor’s name and learn as much as you can about them
- Determine 2-3 core questions
- Find a quiet place with great internet connection and join the call on time
- We have a "one strike" ban policy for no-show bookings without informing the other party. Cancelling within 24 hours is also counted as no-show
1st strike: 1-month suspension
2nd strike: 3-month suspension
3rd strike: Banned
If you are late or can't attend due to an emergency, please email your mentor and our team at [email protected] immediately.
🙋♂️During the session
- Starting the call
- Briefly introduce your name and background
- Tell them why you choose them as your mentor and in general what you want to learn from them
- Invite them to briefly introduce themselves too
- During the call
- Go through your list of prepared questions
- Ask for specific examples to illustrate their points
- Take notes. Please don't record the conversation unless you receive permission from the mentor
- Keep the session within the allotted time
- No solicitation of business, commercial or promotional material is allowed
- Ask closing questions to see if you missed anything
- Take a virtual selfie with your mentor 🤳
🚀After the session
- Send a thank-you note within 1 day. Remember, this is why the mentors donate their time – they want to know they’re making an impact
- Write a testimonial for your mentor: https://forms.gle/pg6fBn5twPc5owJHA
- Keep the conversation and the mentor's contact confidential unless you have permission to share
- Respect their boundaries and avoid spamming them with waves of follow-up questions and random requests
- Share your experience on LinkedIn or other social media platforms tagging #1HourWith @timeauction
- Embody what you've learned - Prepare an actionable plan to work on!
😉 Advice from the Community
Here're other tips from our mentors & mentees that they wish you'd know!
- Always respond to emails in a timely manner
- It'd impress the mentor if you took the time to understand them before
- Send supplementary information on what you’d like to discuss before the call
- Don't be shy and open up! But also make sure that you’re not the only person talking
- Have a goal in mind to make the session practical, and put some thought into writing the thank you note
- Connect with your mentor on LinkedIn after the session!
Now that you know the top tips on how to maximize your #1HourWith Mentorship Session, it's over to you to Sign Up Today for a session with your volunteer hours. ✨ Together we grow as a community!
Got some tips of your own to share? Let us know in the comments!
Updated on 4 April, 2022
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.