Meet Alan Chow, Former CEO of D. H. Chen Foundation
Meet Alan, a banker turned philanthropist with creative and innovative approaches to addressing social issues, while bridging the gap between funders and NGOs!
Mr. Alan Chow is currently advisor or board member of several family foundations and non-profits, and was formerly the Chief Executive Officer of The D. H. Chen Foundation, a private philanthropic foundation established by the late Dr. Chen Din Hwa. Prior to joining the Foundation in 2013, Alan had an illustrious career in the financial and commercial sectors having held various senior management positions at Credit Suisse and Citibank as well as being the Chief Financial Officer and executive director of a publicly listed company in Hong Kong. The unique combination of experiences from the financial and philanthropic sectors complemented with extensive involvement on both the funder and NGO side has enabled Alan to bring creative ideas and innovative solutions to addressing social issues, to apply his knowledge in governance, strategic planning and financial management to building capacity for non-profits, and to bridge the gaps between funders & NGOs. As a firm believer of “investing today, impacting tomorrow”, Alan is most passionate about education, youth development and capacity building for NGOs. He also enjoys connecting funders, NGOs and other like-minded partners to collaborate for social betterment.
Public bodies and non-profits that Alan is currently serving include:
- Member, Schwarzman Scholars Selection Panel, Tsinghua University
- Member, The Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Fund, HKSAR
- Member, Community Investment & Inclusion Fund, HKSAR - Council & Executive Committee Member, Hong Kong Red Cross
- Chairman, Special Education & Rehabilitation Service Governing Committee, Hong Kong Red Cross
- Honorary Advisor, Koo Foundation
- Honorary Advisor, World University Peace Assembly
- Board Member, Sustainable Finance initiative
- Member, Investment Committee, The Community Chest of Hong Kong
- Member, QSIP Advisory Committee, Hong Kong Institute of Educational Research, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Previous community services that Alan had engaged in include:
- Member, WISE Prize for Education Jury (2019), Qatar Foundation
- Chairman, Association for Engineering and Medical Volunteer Services
- Member, Hong Kong Regional Advisory Committee, Hospital Authority
- Member, Energy Conservation Projects Vetting Sub-Committee of the Environment and Conservation Fund, HKSAR
- School Supervisor, Hong Kong Red Cross Hospital Schools
- School Manager, Hong Kong Red Cross Princess Alexandra School
- Member, Admissions, Budgets & Allocations to Member Organizations Committee, The Community Chest of Hong Kong
- Member, Accreditation and Exemption Committee, Private Wealth Management Association
- Hon. Treasurer, La Salle Foundation Ltd
Alan received his Master of Accounting Science degree from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and Bachelor of Science in Accounting (Honors) from the University of Oregon.
Cost per person is HK$150 (Full-time students aged 25 or below)/ HK$250 (General Participants) to support the running costs of our charity and our mission to make volunteerism mainstream.
Cover photo credit: Unsplash
Tea with Alan
20 Mar 2:45 pm
Limited spaces available.
Tea will be held on 20 March 2021 at 3pm to 5pm.
Volunteer to Join
10 volunteer hours to be completed between31 May 2020 to 12 Mar 2021.Apply
Donate to Join
Make a tax-deductible donation to join the event as a Donor.. 1 spot available.