Mike Baard is the Managing Director of Universal Pictures International Australasia with oversight of the Australian and New Zealand markets.
Mike joined Universal in July 2006 with the responsibility to set-up the new business operations for Universal Pictures in Australia following the disbanding of UIP, the distribution partnership Universal owned with Paramount Pictures. Universal Pictures Australasia commenced trading in July 2007 and has successfully released more than 200 films under Mike’s leadership, generating more than $2.5 Billion in box office.
Mike has also led Universal’s local production activities and signed first look deals with leading production companies Hopscotch (The Water Diviner, Saving Mr. Banks) and Screen Corporation (Hacksaw Ridge). Mike was responsible for bringing the highly successful Australian films The Water Diviner and The Dressmaker to UPI.
In addition to Mike’s leadership of the Universal operations in Australasia, Mike currently or has previously served in a number of leadership capacities including:-
• Currently serves on the Board of Matchbox Pictures, a wholly owned subsidiary of NBCUniversal.
• Currently serves as Chairman of the Motion Picture Distributor’s Association.
• Currently serves on the Honorary Council of the Australian Academy of Film and Television Arts.
• Previously served on the Board of the Australian Academy of Film and Television Arts and the Australian Film Institute.
• Previously served as President of the Australian Cinema Pioneers.
Outside of the business, Mike's interests include music, golf, hiking and his dogs.View more
All volunteer hours must be completed during 10 September 2018 to 10 February 2019.
Cost per person is AUD $25 (Full-time students aged 25 or below)/ AUD $35 (General Participants) to support the running costs of our charity and our mission to make volunteerism mainstream.
Lunch will be held at 12:15-2pm on 20 February 2019.